POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : scene file version request : Re: scene file version request Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: scene file version request
From: Bob H
Date: 1 Oct 2001 14:31:04
Message: <3bb8b668@news.povray.org>
"MR" <a### [at] bnet> wrote in message news:3bb8611e$1@news.povray.org...

> i'm a newbie, and i've been downloading scene files from
> p.b.s-f and p.t.s-f.  although this post refers to those groups,
> i did not post this in the scene files group simply because
> this is not a scene file.  slap me if i'm wrong.
>
> very big thanks to the generous people who share their
> hard work with everybody.  but one small and humble request:
>
> if its not too much trouble, please post the version necessary
> for the render in the text part of your message.  i've down-
> loaded a tornado, animated cloth, and chess set and unzipped
> them only to find they were megapov when they died in pov.
> there was no mention of this in the text of the message.
>
> since i'm a newbie, i'm trying to stick with the latest official
> version of pov, and save the unofficial patches for when i'm
> more qualified to swim in more dangerous waters.

In defense of myself, if it was my tornado.pov at povray.texts.scene-files,
it does say "// Vers: unofficial MegaPov 0.4" on the 3rd line of the message
text.  I most always have put which version can be used.  Don't know why I
skipped over doing so for the newer file at povray.binaries.scene-files.
Stupid of me, sorry.  And I saw just now that it was the one at the binaries
group.

That one at text.scene-files has comments about exchanging things to work
under v3.1 and uses just a cone and torus.  The binaries one simply must use
either MegaPOV or possibly v3.5 (although I haven't checked).

Bob H.